Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Perspective of an ABCD




-->
Top Ten Things I love about India:
  1. The Crowds- They’re energizing
  2. The Sounds- They’re comforting
  3. The People- They’re thoughtful
  4. The Food- It’s spicy
  5. The scenery- It’s varied & sublime
  6. The communities- They're so tightly knit
  7. The Temples- They bring history to life
  8. The Family – So many sweet memories 
  9. The History- Its rich and significant
  10. The Connection- It’s my country --- आपली देश, आपली पुणे, आपली भारत  
                                                                  (Our country, Our Pune, Our India) 
(Inspired by this link: http://forbesindia.com/life/recliner/65-things-we-love-about-india/) 

Though I am a pre-medical student, the flexible curriculum in U.S. colleges has afforded me the opportunity to take a wide variety of courses, a number of which have focused on Indian culture. In one such elective, ironically, an American Culture class, I first heard of the label ABCD: An American Born Confused Desi. ABCD's, like me, are often second (or sometimes first) generation Indians, who have grown up abroad, and who become enamored by their roots, culture and the people of India. Hence, the label, ABCD. 
Personally, I believe I can fit into this "category". Though I was always connected to my parents' homeland through family trips and visits, I never had the experience of growing up there- which has made a huge difference in the way I view the country. 
To my surprise (and dismay), as much as I love to visit India, that's how much some Indians here want to leave. The attitude of many young people in India today is that they want to move out of their homeland- anywhere else will do. America is still the dream nation for some, but perhaps for the wrong reasons.
A conversation I had with my cousin and aunt this past weekend sparked my interest in this mindset within India's educated youth. Over the past thirty or so years (perhaps even more!), India has experienced a "brain drain", in which the most talented members of the academic community leave India. In fact, according to one research study, by the NSF, 94.8% of Indians who study abroad for their Ph.D.'s in STEM fields, don't return to India. (http://zeenews.india.com/exclusive/good-brains-drained-away_6083.html) I have personally seen this attitude alive here at IISER-Pune, one of the top science research institutes in India, where people aspire to move abroad, as if to escape the grip of their own nation's suffering economy. 
It’s human nature to have a desire for something different, a thirst or an itch for a new adventure. With the exponentially growing population, ongoing construction and development schemes, expensive real estate and pollution, the lure of a better quality of life can be incredibly powerful. According to my cousin, an MBA/Engineering grad, one motivation to leave is because of the decreasing standard of living in the cities in India
What is a good standard of living, anyway? Most people base this on material things, but I think that a high standard of living can also imply a nation where people live life to the fullest, or where there is hope and motivation; a country that celebrates its culture and honors its leaders in all fields. Perhaps, and many people will argue this, I don’t have the right to say that material things aren’t everything, because I’ve had access to things that many here don’t on a daily basis. For instance, my own room, a queen-sized bed, a three-story home, a personal laptop and gadgets, annual vacations, the list could go on. Everywhere I look, my world is filled with delicacies.
And yet, I feel that my cousins, who grew up in the mother country, are the "lucky ones". 
Those who grew up in India through the 90’s, my own first-cousins- did they really miss out on anything significant? And were they unlucky by any means? I don’t think so. A lifetime in India means that one experiences, first hand, the truly vibrant customs that define this great nation. And through experiences, one develops a unique perspective. India isn’t only beautiful in its scenery- rolling hills, trekking spots everywhere, Kerala, Goa, Mumbai, Banaras… etc. Perhaps most significantly, something no other nation has is such a strong group of devoted spiritual learners, and a culture of community living, of honoring family and relationships, of putting others before oneself (generally). Perhaps an aspect of the indian culture I appreciate most is the importance placed on one’s faith-- a culture of respect is what it is. Indian culture is beautiful and diverse, too.  
In this sense, living in India, where people are so connected to their culture, its diversity, the beauty and the society, may seem to make up for the ‘harsh’ living conditions. 
Maybe it’s a personal opinion, but I think that the crowds, pollution, or “standard of living” is a weak argument for moving away from such a vibrant nation. With a different set of measures, India may actually have a higher standard of living.
Despite this, I do agree that the education system here is quite harsh. Unfortunately, the way India's education (and economy) is set up, it may seem like individuals are entrapped within their nation, having few opportunities for growth. A definite contributing factor is the difficulty of getting a visa to even enter the U.S.
Perhaps it’s a complex phenomenon that I can’t comment on, but I still think that India deserves better than a never-ceasing “brain drain” How will the country rebuild itself or stand in resilience if its strongest, most talented members, leave? It’s been happening for decades, but when will it stop?

1 comment:

  1. Another really thoughtful blog entry, Supriya! What a journey this has been for you, thus far!

    ReplyDelete